For me this is the one time of year that I really get a lot of time to myself. This means I spend a little bit of time reflecting on the year gone by and the year that’s looming ahead. Normally for me, New Year is a little bit of a sad occasion and I’ve never really bought into the big celebrations that go on. I sound like such a jolly soul!! To be honest though, I’ve always kind of rebelled from everything the new year brings.
This year though, I want it to be a bit different. While I don’t want to sit here and make a long list of resolutions that I will break by the 5th of January, I do want to use the New Year to refocus myself a little bit.
2015 & 2016 weren’t my best years. I was just a bit broken and was trying to get myself back on my feet. Which if you’ve ever been through anything similar, you’ll know it’s no easy task. I don’t want to dwell on that too long, but I do want you to know that these last few years have just seemed passed me by and I don’t want to sit here this time next year and feel exactly the same.
I finally feel like myself after quite a long time. I’m in a place where I want to look forward and I’m not really interested in looking backwards anymore. I feel content and I’m finally excited for the future. I don’t really believe that happiness is something that just lands on your lap, that some people are just happy. I hate to say it but I really think it’s something you have to work on.
Keeping that in mind, there are some things I would really like to focus on going into the New Year;
- Get back into a healthy routine. I word it like this because I don’t mean I’m going to get my bod sculpted like a body builder within 30 days. I would love to get back into a gym routine and eat more of a balanced diet. Nothing makes you feel more unstoppable than when you’re fit and strong.
- Have a ‘me’ night every week. Have a really delicious meal (no ‘cheating’ here guys, I’m all about the balance), run a bath, put on some very lovely skincare and then watch a movie in my pjs. No phone, no interruption, just me, myself and I.
- Be more organised. I’m actually planning on having a year of serious saving so this ties into that I suppose. I spend a lot of time just messing around and then complaining I never have enough time.
- Stop getting so stressed about nothing. I’m terrible for this and I know this isn’t unique to me by any means. Something that shouldn’t be anymore than a passing thought can make me anxious for days. I’m a worrier. Sometimes I need to just take a deep breathe and forget about it.
- Live in the moment. When I make a conscious effort to do this, I feel so much happier. When you’re engaged with the people around you, you’ll benefit so much more from your relationships.
While I don’t want to sit here and promise that 2017 will the best year ever. I don’t know what it holds, but I really do want to make the best of what I have and be a lot more present in my life.
What are your goals for 2017? Do you have any big plans ahead?